Recognizing the rapidly evolving healthcare landscape, Brown & Weinraub is diligent in monitoring state and federal policy and regulatory changes, predicting trends, identifying new opportunities and potential challenges, and developing strategies to address those challenges or opportunities. We also provide targeted strategic advice and counsel related to specific transactional matters such as shepherding expansion or construction projects and licensure applications through state agencies.
One of our strengths is a diverse client base representing the spectrum of healthcare stakeholders, ensuring we have a complete line of sight of New York’s reform environment so we can best inform our clients and identify opportunities for collaboration within and outside our client base. Our clients include but are not limited to:
- Diagnostic and treatment centers, including federally qualified health centers
- Healthcare systems
- Nursing homes, certified home health agencies and other long term care providers
- Payers (commercial, government programs and special populations managed care plans)
- Behavioral health providers
- Providers of services for the developmentally disabled
- A major health systems planning agency
- Pharmaceutical companies
- A medical malpractice insurance company
Our seasoned team serves as vigorous advocates for our clients by:
- Working with our clients to frame challenges or opportunities, develop proposed solutions consistent with a reform environment, and communicate the same to agencies of jurisdiction, the executive branch and the state legislature to influence policy development.
- Working with our clients to develop their value proposition and identify opportunities for partnership with the state.
- Connecting clients with key decision-makers.
Our Strategic Planning Services include:
- Assisting in reviewing and developing short, medium and long range strategic business plans including clinical, demographic, utilization and financial factors for healthcare providers, care systems, payers and other stakeholders.
- Identifying and evaluating initiatives responsive to federal and state health reform.
- Assessing, cultivating and making recommendations on potential public and private partnering opportunities relating to strategic alliances, mergers, acquisitions, consolidations, joint ventures, affiliations and divestitures/sales.
- Conducting program and financial restructuring and valuation analyses.
- Conducting market area and service assessment including competitors and in/out-migration.
- Advising on regulatory matters and processes.
- Interfacing with governmental entities to identify and remove obstacles to successful strategic plan execution.
- Presenting in public forums.
- Providing other assistance as needed.
With respect to transactional matters, we:
- Assist in reviewing and designing appropriate capital investment and feasible financing strategies.
- Provide guidance and recommendations including cost/benefit of refinancing and new debt/leasing options.
- Maintain relationships with the lending community.
- Interface with state agencies responsible for approving projects or applications.
- Interface with the NYS Dormitory Authority and investment bankers regarding financing alternatives.
- Assess options for credit enhancement such as FHA Insurance, letters-of-credit, bank loans, private placements and obligated groups.
- Explore potential equity sources such as grants, philanthropy and internally generated funds.
- Assess appropriate debt to equity ratios.
- Provide advice on regulatory matters and processes.
- Present in public forums.
- Provide other assistance as needed.