James is an attorney and registered lobbyist who joined the firm with extensive experience in the New York State Legislature and broader state government. James served as First Assistant Counsel in the Office of Majority Counsel in the New York State Senate and served on the senior staff of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate. In this capacity, he managed day to day operations of an office of twenty-five attorneys and oversaw all aspects of legislation moving from committees to the floor of the Senate, including the Article VII portions of the Budget. He also served as the Senate’s Parliamentarian overseeing all floor operations for the chamber.
James also served as Counsel to the Rules committee and negotiated major pieces of legislation with the Assembly and Governor’s office in the areas of Labor, Civil Service, Education, Corporations, and Real Property Tax. Prior to his role as First Assistant Counsel, he served as Special Counsel to the New York State Senate’s Majority Leader. He also previously worked in the Senate Majority Counsel’s Office, as counsel to the Education and Real Property Tax Committees.
James is also a seasoned election lawyer having served as counsel to candidates for office at every level of government ranging from village trustee to members of congress. He has also served as compliance counsel to various political action committees (PACs) and independent expenditures across the State. James is currently counsel to two major political party state committees.
James is a graduate of Albany Law School and Siena College and is admitted to practice in New York State. James has been recognized by City & State as a 40 under 40 Albany Rising Star.
Recent representative lobbying matters:
· Negotiated a corporate reorganization that required statutory changes for a fortune 100 financial services company (Chapter 171/ 2023);
· Secured a multi-million dollar film tax credit for a major television studio that had lost its grandfathered status due to a change in host (Chapter 59/ 2023 Part D);
· Created a carve-out for E-bicycle manufacturers from New York’s Right to Repair law through a negotiated chapter amendment (Chapter 48/ 2023);
· Advocated for regulatory change with the DMV to modify truck weight passenger registration restrictions on behalf of a start-up all electric pickup truck OEM (MTV-09-22-00017-A); and
· Successfully lobbied for passage of the nation’s first electric school bus mandate on behalf of a national clean energy trade association (Chapter 56/ 2022 Part B).